If you have ever prepared a meal, a vacation, or even a business trip, you know how unproductive--and stressful--it is to try to think of everything you will need simultaneously. More likely you think in linear stages. For example, for the business trip, first, you decide where you want to go, then, who you want to see, then your flights, hotel, etc. The same holds true for preparing a presentation. Here is a simple “layer cake” prep sequence that will save you time and guarantee the best outcome.
- Determine the key message for this presentation based on your listeners, what you know about their situation, your objective, and how your assets, features, and benefits align with their needs.
- Laundry list the content you think that supports your key message. Do not attempt to order the information. Just get all your thoughts out on a page. (For those of you who know mind-mapping, mind-map the content.)
- Sequence and edit the items on your laundry list. Decide what should go first, second, etc.
- Decide what visuals will be needed for each item.
- Decide what examples, stories, metaphors, or analogies you will need to reinforce, clarify, or dramatize each of those information points.
- Figure out your links or transitions between points and groups of points to give your story its flow
- Practice 3-5x or until you are comfortable with the material.
Enjoy the “Cake!”
This linear planning approach will give you a rich, relevant, and resonant presentation that your listeners will definitely want to "bite into!"
Words Matter - Make What You Say Pay!
1. Do you suffer from “Glossophobia: the fear of public speaking?” Here is a wonderful infographic from Lydia Bailey, master's degree consultant, to help you understand & overcome that fear.
2. On the same subject, get my free ebook, No One Hears Your Pounding Heart 50 Tips & Strategies to be calm, cool, & confident in a presentation
Having a Meeting?
Need some fresh ideas and a compelling, practical, and entertaining speaker/seminar leader? Give me a call & we'll plan a learning experience your team will love and use to increase your business! 212 876 18
"I've been to a lot of training programs and yours was the best!" CRO MediaMath
"Funny, current, fully engaging." Conde Nast
Need Some "WOW" in Your Presentation or Demo?
Call today and learn how to turn your information that tells into a story that sells.
"Anne has transformed the way we engage with clients. I highly recommend her for demo/presentation training" Trish Bertuzzi, Pres., The Bridge Group, Inc.